It’s Cinco De Mayo weekend. Believe it or not, Cinco de Mayo isn’t just about drinking margaritas.
The holiday celebrates Mexican soldiers from the town of Puebla defeating the French army.
So, here are the do’s and don’ts of celebrating it properly.
1. Do get a margarita… or try Mexican beers.
2. Don’t make it an excuse to get completely intoxicated though.
3. Do eat a ton of delicious Mexican food. Make it authentic! Bonus points if it’s something you’ve never tried.
4. Don’t wear a sombrero and fake mustache while doing so… or really at any point because you know, that’s stereotypical… and it’s considered cultural appropriation.
5. Do enjoy the culture’s music while your out… or even give Salsa dancing a try.
6. Don’t say Happy Independence Day. That’s not right.
7. Do host a party and put your cooking skills to the test. Try whipping up some traditional Mexican goodies.
8. Don’t use the little beginners Spanish you know to try to communicate with people and sound cool. And don’t go to things called “El Bruncho” or try to make English words sound Spanish.
9. Do (Photo by Joe Raedle/Newsmakers) buy a piñata and have fun with it. They aren’t just for kids, although if you have kids, they’ll have fun with it too.