Miley sings about Molly. Rappers talk about eating it like candy. Madonna got backlash for asking a Miami music festival audience “how many people in this crowd have seen Molly?’.
Well many people at Zedd’s concert in Boston this week had seen Molly. One person is dead and two more overdosed on the stuff.
This weekend’s ‘Electric Zoo’ festival in NY featuring Avicii, David Guetta & many other EDM artists was shut down because of it!! It was supposed to be a 3 day fest but was cancelled last night because 2 people died and 4 others overdosed.
Molly is the powder form of the drug MDMA aka Ecstasy, E, XTC or X. It is the chemical methylenedioxy methamphetamine.
It was originally concocted by doctors to give in small doses to aid in psychotherapy. It releases serotonin in the brain and increases endorphins which basically makes you very happy. In the 80’s it became illegal and in the 90’s people started taking it at raves and nightclubs as a recreational drug. It gives a sense of euphoria, a feeling like you can do anything and it makes you want to dance.
MDMA also dehydrates the body very quickly. That’s why you see people drinking water not beer at clubs where people are using it. Inf act, some clubs know this and charge $5 for a small bottle of water!
When the effects of ecstasy/Molly/MDMA wear off, the brain is depleted of much of its supply of serotonin. Because of this substantial loss, depression is a very common. It has also been shown to damage some critical thought and memory functions of the brain as well as long term neurological issues.
Those short term high doesn’t seem worth the risk of the long term effects.
Please party responsibly. Don’t hang out with Molly, she a bad girl and will get you in trouble.